Friday, May 23, 2008

Where have all the activist gone?

Is no one angry that long term residents are being displaced to make way for wealthier folks, most of whom are white & uncaring of the lives they are disrupting? Why is there no group outcry against this wave of gentrification and displacement in LeDroit park/Bloomingdale & Shaw?
Where have the activists gone? I know there is a crop of older folks who provide insight into what this area once was, but you know us younger folks? What has happened as the entire neighborhood changes around us & there is no outcry, except gathering of folks on corners, in houses & the occasional bitch session online, but what happened to solutions oriented gatherings?
Do people not know how to do these things & if it is the case that no one seems to know, then doesn't it make sense to find someone who does, so that we can work through this & begin to reclaim some senbalance of our original neighborhoods or at least something that works for long term residents moreso than the new folks?
I am very depressed looking at this apathy, don't understand it when folks have their health & skills to make life better why they sit by & let things go on this way.

1 comment:

Making Life Easier said...

Greetings Making Life Easier. I got so despondent that I didn't even bother to revisit my own blog. I am sorry. I am currently one of the cities homeless people myself, circumstances have gotten pretty bad for me, however I would like to talk. I am going to put your number in my phone